How to Create a Spa in Your Own Shower
You love to stand under the hot water until the water heater runs out. Saturday morning finds you enjoying a bubble bath and getting caught up on some R&R spa style. What you need is a bathroom that recreates the spa experience so you can insert a little spa into your every day.
How do you channel the spa into your bathroom design? It’s more than the steam room and masseuse that make the spa. The materials and design you choose makes a difference in how your bathroom feels. Let’s focus in on bathroom shower tile and how you can select tiles that bring the spa to you.
Bathroom Tile Ideas for a Spa-Feel
Some of the most posh spas in the world incorporate the outdoors into their designs. Whether that’s outdoor pools or big windows so you can take in the view, these spas use nature to aid in your relaxation. Invite the outdoors in with tile:
- Use natural stone tile. Granite, limestone, etc. in the shower increases your connection with nature and thus peace and harmony.
- Include wood finishes. Wood look tile on the walls of the shower invites a rustic feel and oneness with the natural. Check the specs on your tile to ensure it is rated for use in the shower.
One of the reasons the spa makes you feel so pampered is the on-trend designs. Using the same concept in your home will help you achieve that spa feeling. One of the hottest trends in tile right now is large format—that’s everything over 15 inches. These larger tiles give you a sense of moving forward in a world of tradition, which helps you let go of stress and move forward.
Try an oversized square in 24 x 24 inches or push the envelope even more with a rectangular tile in 12 x 24.
This simple pattern gives your shower a clean line that invites simplicity, especially if you select a color that brings harmony. Try dusty neutral or pastel colors like Misty Meadow, Corn Silk, or Spa.
- Mosaic is the go-to design for spas from the beginning of time. Roman and Turkish bath’s used mosaics to decorate for ultimate relaxation.
- Shower wall mosaics should be simple to achieve a spa-like feel. For a luxurious mosaic, pick a detailed material, like marble as pictured above.Bathroom floor tile can be a little less reserved than the wall tile. The floor is not usually a focal point; change it up by giving more attention to the floor. Check manufacturer specs to ensure you select a mosaic that is rated for shower floor use.
- Medallions are pre-assembled mosaics that imitate the detail of Old World tile. They are perfect for shower floors where they fill up the space with luxurious details but don’t get lost in the design of the rest of the room.
Though the tile shapes we’ll discuss below are technically mosaic tiles, we thought they deserved a discussion separate from mosaic tile. The shapes available in mosaic today make excellent additions to your spa-like designs. They are trendy and lavish just like your favorite spa.
- Use penny rounds, ovals, or diamonds for a shower that looks luxe and invites pampering. These are available in natural stone or ceramic.
- Go for an ultra-elegant look with one of our favorites, Baroque mosaic tile. These curvy tiles carry the essence of the Turkish bath shapes and designs. These are available in limestone and marble and invite an air of opulence to your spa-inspired shower tile.
- Select a unique tile shape that also provides a little texture. Pebble tile mosaics look like a riverbed. You can almost hear the trickling water.