The influence pets have on home buying and selling is huge and it’s getting bigger all the time. To see the numbers on how pets make an impact, check out the report, Remodeling Impact: Animals in Homes, or get the short version from Realtor Mag.
Build & Remodel for Pets
Pets are an important part of today’s lifestyle. And they definitely have an influence on home remodeling and design, as well as buying and selling. If 99% of pet owners consider their pet a member of the family, then it goes without saying that amenities for pets are just as important as the number of bathrooms or an open floor plan.
A National Kitchen and Bath Association study showed that over half of their member designers in the last year had had requests to design spaces for pets into a home. It comes down to the fact that pets are more often considered part of the family than in years past.
Betsy Bassett of Betsy Bassett Interiors recently told The Bark magazine that, “it’s not just a crate in the corner anymore; people want to designate a more permanent place in their home for their dogs, a place that incorporates them more fully into the home, just as they are incorporated into our everyday lives as family members.”
Requests for pet amenities range from pet showers in the laundry room and pet beds in the nooks and crannies of the home, to doggie water fountains and built-in feeding stations. Some designers are even seeing custom requests that cater to the quirks of individual pets.
Need some inspiration? Here are a few favorites.
- Leave out a lower cupboard or two in the kitchen and turn it into a dog bed.
- Build a nook in the laundry room or mud room for a comfy pet get away.
- Any space that might otherwise be empty—like under the stairs—is a potential pet space
- Put a pet bathing area in the laundry or mud room with a hand-held sprayer for bath time. Or, install a hand-held sprayer in the extra bathroom if you don’t have the space for a designated pet shower.
- Ask for pet food storage drawers and a feeding station that pull out and can be put away in seconds.
- Windows closer to the floor so pets have a great view and nice place to bask in the sun.
- Doggie doors!
- Specialized furniture for pets like crates that look like end tables or shelves for cat lounging. See examples here.